Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I am a Runner

Or at least I felt like one tonight. So after I got home today from my "consultant" job and was turned down by both of my running partners to go on a run I decided I should go solo. This is a problem for me when I've already made it home. My normal running spot is at Mill Creek park. They have a nice quaint little one and a quarter mile loop. Two and a half times around and you've run yourself a 5K. I've run a few 5k's. Nothing special really I know. I don't run them at some blistering pace. Quite the contrary. If they ever had an over 30, over weight, under 5 foot 8 inch, non-citizen age bracket, oh I would dominate. Unfortunately they do not. That being said, I was in a turkey trot in 2008 where I finished 10.2 seconds from a third place finish in my age group. Now maybe you don't think that is so great but I was so close to a podium position. I don't think they actually have podiums at the Statesboro races and I didn't find out how close I was to a bronze medal until a year later but that doesn't matter. 10.2 seconds! If I would have known that at the time I would have tripped the guy in front of me and that is the truth.

So back to tonight's run. I hate running from my house. I dopn't know why. Maybe its because of the summer I decided I wanted to try out for the cross country team in high school. That was short lived. Which is a shame because I went through the physical and everything which at the time was very never wracking for me. Back then I knew absolutely nothing about running. I'd always head out for a run at about 12 pm. What a dummy. But tonight was going to be different. I have goals for 2010. This is going to be my year. 2008 was supposed to be and let me assure you it was far far from my year. O.k. I get suited up for this run tonight. First up is my heart rate monitor. I don't have a heart condition. It goes with my Garmin Forerunner 305. This is a pretty cool little device. It uses gps satellites to track my runs. It gives you distance, elevation changes, pace, heart rate, and a bunch of other things. Next is my technical t-shirt to wick away sweat. Then a long sleeve shirt followed by my fuel belt which holds a bottle of water and some energy gels which I do not use because once I tried one and thought I would puke. Next is a hat to keep my head warm or so Runner's world says and then a headlight so cars can see me as I run in the dark. And finally my saucony running shoes. Oh and shorts lets not forget them. Although I do enjoy a nice run on the treadmill in just a jock strap. Just kidding. Ok I may have actually done that but hey I live alone. When any of you start paying my mortgage then you can tell me what to do in the house. Until then, enjoy that mental image. I wear the jock backwards by the way. Ouch not really.

So out the door I go and I must say it was a very good run for me. 2.1 miles in 21 minutes. 9:50 mile pace. Not bad for someone who runs about once every two weeks. I am well on my way. In 2010 I would like to complete a 10k, a half marathon and then finally a full marathon. Sprinkle in a triathlon in there somewhere too. I really do want to do one of those. I have the bike and I run already. I went to the indoor pool and swam a half mile a few weeks ago just to try it out. That was a workout. I think I can accomplish all of this in the upcoming year. If anyone wants to join in feel free. Lets all try to be more active this year. Together.

All of that being said I have to go. I have a friend who is cooking chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie in exchange for me hanging a curtain rod. One of the only friends I have that really ever got it. If you offer me food you can get me to do just about anything. Really. You show up with a honey bun and its on. But i am going to cut out honey buns this year. O.k. till next time

peace out

1 comment:

  1. What's it gonna take to get this light up? A cake, some pies? I can't even imagine what I'm gonna have to cook for the cornice board.

    ReplyDelete